As an engineer I actually lived through the transition from the drafting board to CADAM and the evolution of computer aided design analysis and simulation. I lived it and I can tell you what we lost along the way.
I learned how to rotate that pencil to keep the tip sharp and the line weight constant on that giant mylar or velum sheet. I had the erasure shields, french curves and cloth filled bags of crushed erasure bits... Yep I was there. I learned the Hardy Cross from an old AVRO guy.... and test lab was analogue so equations and components were 1:1.
I was in the front row seating for CADAM. Catia, Romulus-D, CAPT, SDRC Super Tab, Ideas, Pro-E, Creo, Group Trap Relimit baby... yeah some Inventor Auto Cad stuff too but that crossed over from architecture so it was never in my lane until much later.
Every step along the way as Silicon Graphics made pixels move to a faster Mhz/Ghz beat, I saw a degradation of human intellect in fundamental problem solving skills. Let me share with you, revolving a section in your head and then on a 2d piece of paper to locate machining points or GT datums took some sensibilities that pushing mouse buttons simply don't back feed to the brain. Broken mental feedback loop - and that matters.
So what am I getting at? Two things: conservation of movement and cognition.
Those beautiful 1930's cars - like this one. See all those compound curves, beautiful body panels. No computers, no CNC, no cad - just craftsmen and artists working the clay on the front end the drafting boards in the middle and the model makers at the stamp plant. Think how much less money was dumped into the "old ways." How many people today could re-create this today using the tools and craftsmanship of the 1930's? LOL, ask your AI to help you. What AI doesn't do craftmanship, and if it's not hooked up to a step file no can do... maybe that's worth looking into.
2700 lbs of mostly steel, glass and rubber pushed along by an 80 HP inline six sipping fuel at 20 mpg and the typical owner maybe drove 7000 miles per year. The 2030 version shoul be much lighter IMHO.
Summary point 1. Locality was the common way of life. a long round trip was 50 miles, most trips were under 10. We need to get back to that.
Summary point 2. Simplicity was everything. If it broke, you just fixed it yourself - even building up bearings. Can you do that? What real value does complexity have if simplicity is the goal?
| I love those bullet headlights |
No comments:
Post a Comment