Saturday, September 26, 2015

A visit to the National Museum of the US Marine Corps

On my way to the airport I had just enough time to stop in and visit a museum that I have drove past for years and have always wanted to visit.

The main gate to the museum

On the grounds surrounding the main building there is a walkway which winds it's way past many memorials. The statue above is "Molly Marine." Dedicated to all women who have served.

This is Lt Gen Lewis Puller aka "Chesty Puller." A legend. 

This is the window at the front of the chapel.

As you walk around the grounds the side walk recalls major battles, Marine Corps ideals and it's entire border has paving stones with the names of thousands who served. Khe Sanh took place in several phases during the Vietnam War.

Reaching back to WW I Belleau Wood was conflagration that ended with nearly 10,000 casualties. 

Honor, courage, commitment...

Lt Gen John Archer Lejeune

This one touched me personally.

Inside the museum the displays are very well done.  This is an amazing place to visit.

Static display of a Harrier I'm not sure if it is an AV, G or FRS

Once again I'll say - I think the F4U is the most beautiful bird ever built.

"Iron Mike."
I Hope you liked the pics,

AML NLO, JRO, SEO, AML

No comments: