Saturday, February 1, 2014

Snowy treck to Calumet

More snow and a great XC trek through Calumet's Swedetown Trails.  One good thing about this winter... we do not lack for snow.  I have to report that the driveway snowbanks are indeed higher with no end in sight.  So where is Swedetown? It's near Calumet in the Keweenaw Peninsula - just a bit North of Houghton.  This trail system started developing in the early 1960's and has grown into an excellent tracked and groomed trail system.  Track is set for classic and skating.

Great trails, really nice chalet too
My son and I did the Powderhouse and "Eds" loops - fun
Google Earth overlay... I'm learning how to do this for my summer hikes

http://greatlakesgazette.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/snow-calumet.jpg
"Winter in Calumet" has always been very snowy
I am proudly sporting last years "Sled Head" US Forest Service Clean Snowmobile cap.  I'm looking forward to helping out as a judge again this year - on the internal combustion machines.  I'll try to get some picks up of that SAE competition and the Winter Carnival snow statues in the weeks ahead.

226 inches of snow so far this winter - bye for now!

1 comment: